Friday, May 17, 2013

Apple Almond Squares | Clean Eating



Apple Almond Squares
12 squares

1/2 c almond flour
1/2 c brown rice flour
2 T stabilized rice bran, optional (I did not use)
2 organic evaporated cane juice (I didn't have this so I used 2 T sugar, probably didn't need it at all)
2 T ground flaxseed
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/4 t sea salt
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1 egg plus 1 egg white
1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
2 T sunflower oil (I used grapeseed oil)
1/2 t vanilla extract
1 McIntosh apple, peeled, cored and chopped (I used a Gala)
1/2 c unsweetened raisins (I didn't have any, don't care for raisins in baked goods)
1/4 c sliced raw unsalted almonds (also didn't use, none on hand)

Topping (Since I didn't have either of these, I just sprinkled a little cinnamon on the top before baking)
1 T plus 1 t Sucanat
1/8 t arrowroot powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 inch square baking dish with parchment paper, leaving 1 to 2 inches of overhang on opposite sides.

In a medium bowl, whisk flours, bran, cane juice, flaxseeds, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.

In a large bowl, mix egg, egg white, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Add flour mixture and stir just until combined. Fold in apple, raisins and almonds. Spread evenly in dish. Bake for 25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center. Lift edges of parchment paper to remove bars from dish. Cut into 12 squares (I made them a bit smaller and got 16).

Prepare topping: In a spice grinder, pulse Sucanat and arrowroot into a fine poweder. Sprinkle over bars. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.

Recipe from Clean Eating Magazine | June 2013 Issue

Here are a few of my other favorite clean eating, gluten free recipes.
Healthy Almond Meal Banana Muffins
Maple Banana Nut Muffins

Enjoy!!


1 comment:

Don't be shy! Say hello!